Teacher Assistant/Aide, Preschool
Excelsior, MN 55331
Salary: $14.00 to $18.00 /hour
TEACHER ASSISTANT/AIDE, PRESCHOOL Mount Calvary Lutheran Church & Preschool – Excelsior, MN
Purpose: Assistant teachers or teacher aides are defined by NAEYC as adults who work under the direct supervision of a teacher. Assistant teachers-aides can work independently in a teacher’s absence, but for much of the time, the assistant teacher-teacher aide works directly with the teacher in the same space and with the same group of children.
Education/Skills: Assistant teachers-teacher aides have a high school diploma or GED. 50% of assistant teachers-teacher aides have at least a Child Development Associate Credential (CDA) or equivalent. CDA equivalent is a minimum of 12 college credits (semester hours) in early childhood education, child development, elementary education or early childhood special education that encompasses the following: child development and learning of children birth through kindergarten; family and community relationships; observing, documenting, and assessing young children; teaching and learning; and professional practices and development. An assistant teacher-aide may have the qualifications of a teacher:
A teacher candidate must meet one of the four NAEYC driven qualifications:
- Have a minimum of CDA or equivalent.
- Be working on an associate degree in early childhood education, child development-family studies, early childhood special education, or elementary education with a concentration in early childhood education or the equivalent.
- Have a degree (associate or higher) outside of the early childhood field and three or more years of work experience in an NAEYC-accredited program.
- Have a degree (associate or higher) outside of the early childhood field with three or more years of work experience in a nonaccredited program and at least 30 contact hours of relevant training during the past three years.
Responsibility and Accountability:
- Keep children safe by checking daily for hazards in their environment and being prepared when children do get hurt. Keep children in sight and sound. Fill out accident reports to be evaluated. Be prepared for accidents by being current with Pediatric CPR, First Aid, Blood Borne Pathogens, and having First Aid supplies on hand. Keep emergency forms in classrooms. Report to maintenance team, property committee and/or directors any unsafe conditions. Follow Hennepin County Health Department and MN Department of Human Services guidelines for health and safety.
- Support the teacher in implementing and supervising age-appropriate lesson plans in accordance with preschool philosophy, NAEYC, and DHS. Lesson plans are readily available for assistants to discuss with the lead teacher so that lesson plans can be implemented. Appropriate supplies will be in the classroom in accordance with the day’s lesson plans. Interact with children during program activities.
- Working as a team with Mount Calvary Preschool Staff, any additional educational staff, and the staff of Mount Calvary Lutheran Church.
- Attend staff meetings when appropriate. Work with head teacher as a team to implement lesson plans and to provide a positive atmosphere for all children.
- Communicating with parents and creating a positive partnership with them to ensure a consistent transition between home and preschool. Verbally communicate with parents. Share parental communications with the lead teacher.
- Meeting the needs of each child according to his/her learning style, developmental readiness, and cultural and family background. Implement teacher’s lesson plans that reflect different activities to cover physical (movement), auditory, and visual learning styles. Conversations with parents and specialists take place when needed.
- Participate in required and recommended training programs. Meet Continuing Ed. requirements as well as Pediatric CPR and First Aid requirements.
- Take responsibility for the arrangement of the room and learning environment, including housekeeping tasks. Work with other staff members to maintain a clean and safe environment. Set up learning centers in the classroom: housekeeping, blocks, sensory, science. Follow DHS rules regarding use of cognitive and manipulative toys and equipment.
Interested candidates please send your resume to email@example.com.